Homicide by Vehicle is a Felony offense! A conviction means you are a convicted Felon. If you are charged with Homicide by Vehicle, it is important to understand the laws and what you are facing. More important, you should understand there is hope!
What the Law Says
The crime of Homicide by Vehicle is found in Section 3732 of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code (75 Pa.C.S.A. § 3732). The offense is defined as:
Any person who recklessly or with gross negligence causes the death of another person while engaged in the violation of any law of this Commonwealth or municipal ordinance applying to the operation or use of a vehicle or to the regulation of traffic except section 3802 (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) is guilty of homicide by vehicle, a felony of the third degree, when the violation is the cause of death.
What does it mean?
If you were involved in an accident and someone died because of your recklessness, you can be charged with a Homicide by Vehicle under Section 3732. This section often serves as one of the charges in DUI cases where there is a death.
What are the penalties?
A Homicide by Vehicle conviction under Section 3732 carries the penalties of a felony of the third degree. This means that the judge can sentence you for up to 7 years in prison and fine you up to $15,000. There are possible sentence enhancement if the violation:
- occurred in a work zone
- was the result of texting
- was in relation to the approach of emergency vehicles
- was in an emergency response area
These sentence enhancements may result in an additional 5 year prison sentence. Additionally, your license will be suspended for three years.
How will a conviction for Homicide by Vehicle impact my life?:
There are great consequences if you are a CONVICTED FELON. These consequences will affect you for the rest of your life.
If you get a FELONY conviction:
- You can't own or possess a gun
- You can't go hunting
- You can't vote
- You can't travel to Canada and other foreign countries
- You can't work at a school for 10 years
- You will be terminated from state employment
- You must notify the professional licensing board
- YOU WILL BE A CONVICTED FELON
On top of all of that, you will have a HOMICIDE on your permanent criminal record.
There is Hope
A homicide by vehicle charge is not an automatic conviction. Even if you think the evidence is stacked against you, you are not automatically doomed. An experienced and knowledgeable attorney who tackles tough cases will identify issues in your case that can be challenged. Citizens like you have trusted Attorney Mike Sherman and he has been a life-saver for many. He is a different type of attorney. He's the kind who is willing to fight for you.
What Can I Do Now?
You may feel there is nothing you can do to change your situation. That can't be furthest from the truth. We hire experts in blood and breath testing, accident reconstruction, medicine, and forensic science to review your case and find the weaknesses in the government's case. Have we ever done this before? Many, many times.
For example, in one case we handled, the police claimed our client was driving 96 mph when the accident happened. We hired an accident reconstruction expert to review the evidence. After he reviewed the evidence, we determined that our client's speed was actually 60 mph! That's a difference of 36 mph. That changed the dynamics of the case. We have successfully challenged the blood test results in many cases. Every case is different, but you need someone on your side who is willing to fight and has the knowledge to get the job done.
You need to act now! The longer you wait, memories fade and evidence disappears. Call former Pennsylvania State Police attorney Mike Sherman today for your free consultation. You have nothing to lose.
What is the Mike Sherman Difference?
Mike Sherman has unique experience and knowledge which he uses to protect his clients.
- Mike Sherman is a former attorney for the Pennsylvania State Police. He knows both sides of the law and uses that knowledge to benefit his clients.
- Mike Sherman wrote “the” Pennsylvania textbook on Pennsylvania DUI law, Driving Under the Influence Law and Practice.
- Mike uses a scientific method to investigate your case. Relying on his deep understanding of forensic science, he picks apart the evidence against you and looks for errors he can challenge. He then carefully prepares your case to highlight these issues and put you in the best possible position.
If you are facing a serious Homicide by Vehicle charge, don't delay. Call now to set up your free consultation at (412) 471-5000.